Friday, March 30, 2012

Two daze down



The sun has set on my second day here in St. Lucia.  

My journey here was without excitement, entirely uneventful and smooth as can be.  I like it that way.  Though to be honest, my final flight from San Juan to Castries catapulted me back into a time I’m not sure I’ve ever encountered in my waking life.  I somehow felt as if I had been thrown into the movie, Romancing the Stone.  It was reminiscent of their trip to Cartagena. Antiquated...comes to mind.  Regardless, I arrived safely and in one piece.

I have been warmly welcomed to this island by all I have crossed paths with.  (Some more warmly than others....) I am deeply grateful for the kindness of strangers here. I hope that the warmth and generosity of these people and this island will be with me for the duration of my stay.

I spent some time in Castries yesterday, wandering about, taking it all in and sweating every ounce of H20 out of my body.  It’s a city that reminds me of San Jose, Costa Rica, though much smaller and with some greater measure of disrepair.  In days past, banana plantations were a large part of the industry that supported the people of St. Lucia.  As it turns out, bananas have picked up a “sickness” in recent years and the people here are now supported by tourism brought in by cruise ships & planes alike.  Yesterday happened to be a “cruise ship day” (During the season, 5 days a week one might find at least 2-3 in port) and I witnessed, first hand, the dizzying number of sun-kissed tourists scurrying around to fetch this or that before their ship departs.

I was given some warning from a local woman that the number of young women here having babies is frightening.  I was still taken aback by the number of teen mothers wandering about wearing their stunning young infants and newborns.  I am still trying to get an accurate pulse on the birth rate for St. Lucia & feel that my observation was but a small sampling.  I’m looking forward to what the days ahead have in store.  Again, I ask that whatever comes be gently offered.

I begin ‘work’ on Sunday and have a covey of butterflies to keep me company.   I have no idea what to anticipate other than showing up at 8 am, in white scrubs, with my pregnancy wheel, measuring tape & stethoscope in hand. 

(I was also reminded today that the closer you are to the equator, the less time you can spend in the sun without at least several layers of sunscreen.)

More to come.  Thanks for tagging along! 

No comments:

Post a Comment